Crime Prevention Tips
Home Security System
- Always arm your security system (if you have invested in one) when you leave your residence, even if you will be away for a short time
- Properly display your alarm window stickers and lawn signs provided by your security provider
Basic Home Security Tips
- Always make sure that all doors and windows are properly closed and locked at night and when you're away from home.
- All doors should have a deadbolt...strike plate is also advisable. Secure your sliding doors with a metal rod or piece of plywood in the track.
- Timers work in creating the illusion that you are home
- Use outdoor lights with timers or motion activated lights. Light is a burglar's worst enemy
- Do NOT allow overgrown trees and shrubs to conceal a burglar while he is trying to break into your home
- Tree branches near your home can provide a "ladder" to the upper-level windows of your home
Going on Vacation
- Try to have a neighbor or friend collect your mail and newspapers
- Never leave any details on your answering machine about where you have gone and/or how long you will be there
- Neighborhood Watch really works...so if you have one...advise them you will not be home
- Notify your monitoring center that you are going on vacation
More Preventative Measures
A few more hints
- Install fences, screen doors, and window screens
- Peepholes and door chains where appropriate around your home
- Never open the door to any strangers.